Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Botanical Bliss and my CZT

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

Thank you for stopping by. I love having visitors, and very much enjoy the comments you leave.

Soon after I discovered Zentangle, on Pinterest, I went looking for more information about it. I found Zentangle.com, Rick and Maria's (the originators and developers of Zentangle(c)) lovely site, and their very interesting and informative blog. Next, I found tanglepatterns.com, Linda's wonderful listing of patterns, both official and unofficial. Next came Laura Harms', The Diva's site.

Many patterns appealed to me, but the organic tangles, most of all... and the botanicals in particular.

Although I find my drawing skills are slowly improving, I had absolutely no idea how to compose a completely botanical piece. So, the botanicals, for the most part, were absent from my art.

Then, I had the good fortune to meet, on Facebook, Brenda Shaver-Shahin, CZT, who had just relocated to within about an hour's drive of me. I was so excited, and booked a lesson with her. She is warm and welcoming, and an excellent teacher. We made the decision to start from the beginning, and we did. We didn't stay there long, however, as it seems I had managed to come quite a long way with Zentangle, on my own. After that first lesson, I was totally inspired and created the first big ZIA that made me say "Wow, I did that?" For those of you who know me on Facebook (Elizabeth Cline Beveridge, there), a part of that piece is the header on my timeline page. The entire piece can be seen, here. 

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I asked Brenda if she would help me learn to use those lovely botanicals I had looked at with longing, from the start. What an amazing time we had. I was scared to death, which is silly, but I tend to react that way to anything new. Brenda had recognized that I was drawing really tightly and holding my breath... so, she presented me with a blank that was 8"x10", and told me we were going to "draw big" this time. 

I am very slow and methodical, and Brenda was so patient with me. I'm sure she could have just screamed at times. lol. Drawing big was hard, and I needed the constant reassurance Brenda gave me... That looks great!... or Don't worry, you won't even see that, when it's done...

One of the most important changes for me, after only two lessons, is that I'm becoming ok with my own art. I  can be very hard on myself, and we have so many incredibly talented artists in the Zentangle community. I was actually getting discouraged, and feeling like I should be able to make my art look like theirs. I'm finally learning to be patient with myself. I am only 7 months in, and I don't have much art background (more a crafter). I am beginning to just enjoy the process, which is the root of Zentangle (c), and not to worry so much about the outcome. It's funny how the result improves, when it stops mattering so much!

I know that not everyone has access to a CZT, and I know all CZT's are not the same. No two human beings are. I would truly encourage you, however, if you do have a CZT in your area, to take some lessons. I find I have learned so much, in only two lessons, but it's more than that. It's the fun of talking about something about which you are both passionate... sharing sources of supplies and equipment... such as paper and framing... ooo'ing and ahh'ing over each other's work. It's about learning, and it's about laughing. I come away so inspired and encouraged. I can hardly wait 'til Friday... my next lesson!

I found this botanical very, very challenging, and it's something I would never have tried on my own. I see all its faults, and yet, I see its beauty too. It's really exciting for me to finally complete this piece, and to be able to stand back and utter that infamous thought most of us have too often. "Did I really do that?" (grins).

Here is the piece I will always love, because it represents a real milestone for me. My first botanical ZIA... YAY! It won't be the last.



Thank you, Brenda Shaver-Shahin, CZT. You're awesome!

Til next time, tangle happy!

Beth (Elizabeth Cline Beveridge on Facebook)

15 comments:

  1. Beth, Oh My Goodness !! You are so sweet. Thank you for all the kind words. You are such a gentle and giving person yourself and your art truly reflects your lovely personality. I was so impressed with your beautiful Zentangles when I first met you and and honestly wondered what on earth I could ever teach you. You seemed already well on your art journey. But I did recognize that you lacked self confidence and had not had the wonderful opportunity of experiencing the tremendous benefits of the Zentangle experience in its true form. Since I am a real believer in the Golden Rule, "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you",I always use that as my motto. I decided to just do for you what was done for me by the co-creator of Zentangle, Maria Thomas. Being a real art "newbie" at CZT8 a year ago with so many accomplished artists was very intimidating. But Maria(and everyone there) made me feel very special. Maria was the first to tell me that my tangles were beautiful and even though I really did not think they were, she gave me the encouragement to continue drawing. And only by drawing and practicing, did I get the real experience of Zentangle. Zentangle is all about the process and when one follows the process with no expectations or outcomes, the art seems to just happen. It really is a miracle. I am so thankful that Maria and Rick came up with this idea. It is a real blessing. And so, my dear Beth, I am thrilled that you are loving the Zentangle experience and I always look forward to your class because of the fun and laughter and all that I learn from you too. I consider it a real privilege that you and all my other students even want to take lessons from me. So, here's to the many future times we are going to have together the Zentangle way. And again, thank you for such a vote of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Brenda. I live in Maple Valley WA and am an even newer CZT than you, CZT10 in September last year. I'm so happy to meet you, and I'll look for your art if you'll tell me where to find it. I, too, have been so enriched by the experience of teaching, and learning from both students and other artists. I wish you blessings in your artistic endeavors. Hugs,
      Linda Selymes

      Delete
    2. Dear Brenda,

      I am continually amazed by the depth of the effect that Zentangle(c) has had on so many lives. I think that Maria and Rick have done something indescribably wonderful for all of us.

      Your work is so beautiful, and I know that there is always so much more to experience with Zentangle... it is so versatile, and combined with one's own style and imagination, the magic just keeps on keeping on.

      Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to our lessons more than you can imagine, and hope we can continue for a long time to come.

      Vote of confidence? You deserve every one. You were very wise to recognize what I needed, and little by little (I'm still working on it) it's coming. You're teaching me to trust and enjoy the process, not focus on results, and the amazing thing is,, the results get better too!

      Delete
  2. OH! I was so taken aback by all your compliments, I forget to tell you that your botanical piece turned out fantastic. Wasn't it just a few days ago, that you mentioned that you had no idea how to finish it? Well, it is truly beautiful and you should be very proud of all that you have accomplished in your art and in your new found ability to Relax, Breathe and Smile,the Zentangle way. Looking forward to Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid to try shading it on my own, Brenda, but I decided to do the Nike thing, and just dig in. I was very unsure of what I was doing, but now that I've done it, I have such a feeling of accomplishment. I'm really looking forward to Friday. See you then!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello, Sandy; How kind of you to stop by and comment. I do appreciate the oompliment. Thank you very much. Beth

      Delete
  4. Hi Beth, I found you! I had commented on this composition in flickr, I found it to be gorgeous, and I too love the botanicals more than anything else. You left me a comment on one of mine, so I went hunting for you from your info. I put in a friends invite on facebook, and you can look at my blog too, at www.tanglewithlinda.wordpress.com. I haven't been active for a couple of months because of a family health crisis (not me, my sister), but she's better now and I'll get busy again. It's so nice to meet a new "cyber" friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. It's great to meet you! It was nice of you to go hunting to find me, and I'm very happy to have a new "cyber" friend. I will enjoy looking at your blog, and connecting on facebook. I appreciate you commenting on flickr. I have been gone a couple of hours, so haven't looked there in a while. I look forward to sharing our love of those amazing botanicals. Thank you for your kind words. Beth

      Delete
  5. Hi Beth... I love your botanical piece. One of the things I love about Zentangle is how it can be combined with a variety of subjects and art forms.
    --Geneviève in St. Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve... Thank you very much for your kind words, and for stopping by. Zentangle is truly a versatile form. I love it!

      Delete
  6. Hi Beth, I just had to stop by again to congratulate you on making Rick and Maria's blog. How cool is that! You have done such a great job of describing some of the deeper benefits of Zentangle, and the value of "starting from the beginning" with a CZT no matter where you are in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda... I'm always happy to "see" you! Making the blog is very cool, and was a big surprise to me. Thanks for your kind words. It's easy for me to write when I feel strongly about something, and i'm truly happy to be able to give a little something back to Rick and Maria, for the incredible gift they've given me.

      Delete