Well, I've been very neglectful of my blog lately. Since last I wrote, however, I've had some interesting and enjoyable adventures in art. Yesterday's was just so much fun, I had to share the process with you. If you want to try a really interesting diversion from Zentangle, this is fun, and quite a challenge.
I tend to be very tight and controlled in my art work. It's something my CZT, Brenda Shaver, recognized, and we've been working on it.
In an ATC Swap and Travelling Art Journal FB group, a new swap was issued by Penny Stewart, ably assisted by Robin Buys. It was called "All Over Floral" and it went something like this...
Thinking "wallpaper" or 'fabric" place watercolor paint loosely on a large page. After drying, pick out detail with ink. Cut into ATC's and submit them to Penny. She will organize everyone's work, and we will get back as many ATC's (from other people) as we submitted.
OK... so for me, the challenges were:
1. Using watercolors, which I have, but have used very little (scarey!).
2. Placing color loosely on the page (anxiety almost to the point of panic).
I know this probably sounds very silly to many of you. My own reality is that anything new is scary, so I react with fear. I realized how badly the thought of doing this was "pushing my buttons" as I sat trying to convince myself to do the "Nike thing". I became determined to beat the fear, and give this a try.
I enjoyed it so much, I ended up doing 2 sets. I think I drove Penny and Robin a bit nuts, with questions in private messages, as I worked through. I needed reassurance that I was doing the right thing. Pathetic, right?
So, for the first set, I indicated quite closely the final flower, as I placed my strokes. I kept a degree of control that I was comfortable with. This is the initial paint placement on the first piece:
|Floral 1: Paint Placement|
|Loosely inked (as instructed)|
|Cut into ATC's for the swap|
Well, I was intrigued after this process and decided to do another set. This time, I decided I wouldn't stroke or shape the flowers in any way, in the first step... just place blobs. With this set, I would rely on my liner, to "identify" the flower. Here are the "steps" of this set.
|Paint placed, ready for ink|
At this point, I had to decide whether to go to bed, or keep going. My body is telling me I should have chosen sleep! *grins sleepily*.
I really enjoyed figuring out what flower each blob reminded me of, and then "making it so" with ink.
|Second set, inked|
Although I don't like this piece as well as the first, the exercise of doing it was delightful. I loved the ATC's once they were cut, but would put the elements closer together when (not if), I try this again. Here they are:
|Second set, ATC's|
This exercise made for a very interesting afternoon and evening (and early morning). I'm told, once you get used to the process, and more comfortable with painting and inking loosely, you can complete this exercise in a couple of hours.
I will be doing this again... any time I feel like a good "stretch". I hope it might inspire you to try something completely different, once in a while. I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments.
Til next time, tangle happy!