Welcome!

My Photo
Ontario, Canada
Life is working full time, being married for 35 years, being mom to a grown daughter, 2 15 yr old cats and a 7 year old Diva of a Boston Terrier. Becoming involved in the art community has changed my life, since I began to focus on Zentangle,in August of 2012. Since then, I've gained the courage to explore other kinds of art. I've added water soluble media, mixed media and a desire to start an artist's journal to the mix. You might find just about anything on my blog. I hope, whatever you find, you will enjoy. I love to hear from you. The most wonderful surprise in all of this , has been finding such a warm and wonderful community built around these art forms. Almost without exception, those I've met are warm, friendly and generous of spirit. I try to be the same way.

Friday, 7 June 2013

Growth in Zentangle (R) Inspired Art: Feeding Imagination by Expanding "Vocabulary" (Part One)

Before I get into the main topic of this post, I would like to introduce you to the newest member of my family. My "grand furkid" Roxie, has come to live with us,and we are thoroughly smitten.

Roxie was rescued by our daughter, 3 years ago, and she's a 7 year-old Boston Terrier. A true diva, and a real character, Roxie's dainty little ways have stolen our hearts. 

Her "Kong" is her most treasured possession...

Pretty girl

Her funny ears, which thankfully were never cropped, tell us all we need to know about how she's feeling.



We're so grateful to have Roxie. She brings many smiles and much laughter, every day. Rescues Rock!

Now to the main reason for my post today. Earlier this week, I was chatting with a Robin Buys, a dear friend on Facebook, and an amazing Zentangle influenced artist. You can see (and hopefully like and share her FB page) at https://www.facebook.com/robinjaynezart  and her fantastic blog, at Www.Inkfiddles.blogspot.com We both exclaimed over what is, for me, the most beautiful piece of Zentangle Inspired Art I have ever seen. I was saying that I thought I would never have the imagination or the talent to produce a piece like that. Robin said something to me that really fired me up, and motivated me to the new activity I want to show you today. She said, "As you expand your 'vocabulary' of tangles, you will be able to imagine, more and more, the many ways tangles can be used."

I gave that some thought, and decided I needed to make a focused effort to learn more tangles. I've become a bit complacent about that. In imagining how I would do that, I decided I'd try a new way of recording and organizing the tangles I learn. I have cumbersome binders full of step outs, that I never use because they are hard to organize, and very heavy...so, this is what I came up with, after some thought.

I decided I would learn a pattern by producing an ATC (3.5" x 2.5") out of good, heavy bristol, with the tangle name, author's name, and a swatch of the completed pattern on the front, and the stepouts and notes on the back. Here is an example:



I learn the pattern by drawing the step outs, and then go to my workbook to play with the pattern. By the time I've done that, the pattern is indelibly etched in my brain.

For portability, I will carry these ATC's in a duotang with 9- pocket sport card pages. They look pretty good in there, and of course, both sides are visible through the clear plastic.

Then I got thinking that it would be fun, since I will have a basically unused Rolodex that holds 3x5" cards, to take it one step further.  I would photocopy both sides of the ATC, and affix them to the front and back of a rolodex card, which will sit on my art table. I can imagine myself getting stuck, and "spinning" for a pattern!

Here are copies of both sides of my "Dentri" card, temporarily affixed (for the picture) on a 3x5 rolodex card. I realized as I posted the backside picture, that I will want the card the other way around... but you can see I have room for some notes. I also draw the step-outs in ways that make sense to me.. not necessarily the way they are published.



So, I'm busy expanding my "tangle vocabulary" and developing a nice library in the process. 

I hope this might inspire some new ideas for you, as well.

Til next time, tangle happy!

Beth

16 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT!!! what a fab way to fill your rolodex!!! Jo Dengler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo... I don't actually have it yet, just a few of the cards. I thought I would be swapping with them, but realized that swapping has really distracted me from my tangling, which is my "first love" in art.

      Delete
  2. This idea is stellar! What a great way to have patterns at your fingertips on your desk as you create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration for it, Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clever gal, Beth. I like the ATC idea, tho' I must admit I'm more of a doodler than a tangler. My main thing is an art journal. I was on the Doodle Art site when I heard about a swap. Well, I went and joined it and only later did I understand it was actually a zentangle swap that Cathy Wilson was offering. So here I am, a doodler, trying to get by in a tangler's swap. Well, I had such fun I entered this next Nature swap.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Cleaning my studio always leads to do art.
    Blessings....
    Coleen in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coleen, thank you. I know you were worried about the swaps, but I absolutely loved your doodled ATC's. I don't think you have a thing to worry about. I really enjoyed your blog, and I will definitely be back. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. What a clever idea. I definitely need to get more organized :) Thank you for sharing. Sometimes I make up my own and store them on different sizes of paper in an envelope--not what you call "organized".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful, Pat. I'm finding that, in some strange way, this new system is almost incentive to learn more tangles, so I can expand my "collection".

      Delete
  6. I do the same thing but put them on tags that I get in a package at Hobby Lobby, they have the reinforced hole so I can put them on an o-ring. It is a great idea and very handy for when you want some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea, Deby! I like that. Fun, too!!

      Delete
  7. Lovely Roxie!
    And what a cool idea! You'll see that as you practice tangles will easily come up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simona, and thanks for joining Imagination Station, on FB. So glad to meet you... and I'm hoping what you say is absolutely what will happen :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Beth,
    Have found Zentangle, Doodle and all other names......on Pinterest. Found your idea of the ATC cards with the small workings on the back. Think this is a fantastic idea and one that may well help the out and out non artistic beginner like myself, find some form of tutorial that will be of our own making and at our own pace.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful, veecee. I'm finding as I go on with this, that I want to practice the pattern a bit, before I do my card, so that I'm happy with how it looks. I do enjoy making them, though, and I'm finding learning all the new tangles is really helping me. If you're not already familiar with tanglepatterns.com, Linda has links there, to hundreds of patterns that are broken down exactly the way I've done it on the cards. All the best to you. If you're on Facebook, I'm Elizabeth Cline Beveridge there, and I have a group that you might enjoy, called Imagination Station. If you message me there, I will add you to the group.

      Delete
  9. Hello Beth,
    Found your blog online, and love your idea of a rolodex for storage. I gotta say, girl this is very imaginative and I am going out to buy one today. Albums are great but are cumbersome (even the small ones) and this will nicely fit my desk. Love your blog and thanks for sharing this. I have a request in to join your Imagination Station on Facebook. thanks again Beth! Val Enders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val. Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you found the post helpful. Gratefully accepted your membership request to Imagination Station. I'm looking forward to knowing you better! Beth

      Delete