Welcome!

My Photo
Ontario, Canada
Life is working full time, being married for 35 years, being mom to a grown daughter, 2 15 yr old cats and a 7 year old Diva of a Boston Terrier. Becoming involved in the art community has changed my life, since I began to focus on Zentangle,in August of 2012. Since then, I've gained the courage to explore other kinds of art. I've added water soluble media, mixed media and a desire to start an artist's journal to the mix. You might find just about anything on my blog. I hope, whatever you find, you will enjoy. I love to hear from you. The most wonderful surprise in all of this , has been finding such a warm and wonderful community built around these art forms. Almost without exception, those I've met are warm, friendly and generous of spirit. I try to be the same way.

Saturday, 9 November 2013

Rant Alert

You know, I belong to a number of groups on FB. More often than I would like to see, someone makes a comment about Zentangle copyrighting what people have been doing for years, and how Rick and Maria must be "laughing all the way to the bank".

They make me see red.

I would bet my bottom dollar that none of them have even ever read about exactly what it is that Zentangle has under copyright.

This morning, I went on FB to find a picture circulating. A big, beautiful, colored doodle. Inevitably the comment comes below... "and before Zentangle was ever heard of."

Well, enough already. I've hit my limit. Although I am not exclusively (now) a Zentangle artist, I will be forever grateful for the process, and what it taught me about focus, relaxation, enjoying the process. I will be forever grateful for all the wonderful, welcoming people who make up the Zentangle community. I still tangle when I need to relax, and probably always will.

So get your facts straight, people. Take the time to learn about what you scoff at, before you write it down and make a fool of yourself.

Find the FACTS about what, actually has been copyrighted, so you understand the distinction.

Here are the legalities relating to Zentangle: http://www.zentangle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=148

I wonder how many will bother to read this, or whether it's just more fun to blindly bash.

-end rant-


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your rant! For 51 years I was frustrated and angry that I could not "get" art, and Zentangle has enhanced my ability to focus and be calm. Relaxing, enjoyable peace produces beautiful art. Every time I pick up a piece to work on I am ever so thankful to my teachers~Ann Coakley and Sadelle Wiltshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS is what nobody who bashes Zentangle knows about, and they certainly have never taken a class, or any opportunity to experience it as it's meant to be. I sure wish you would make this comment on the discussion that's driving me crazy on my timeline, Vickie. Thank you so much for capturing the essence of what is so misunderstood.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Heather.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for pointing this out Elizabeth...I appreciate what you wrote.

    Sharon Payne CZT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I needed to get it off my chest.

      Delete