Sunday, 24 August 2014

Art of "Liza'... My New Signature

I have been all over the place with my art. My first love, Zentangle(R), is still very prominent in my art, and even when I'm not thinking about it, it shows up in most of my pieces.

Then I got a really comprehensive intro to luminescent (and flat) watercolor, from Dion Dior's Mastering Twinks courses, parts 1 and 2 (still not finished 2).

Dion also gave us a taste of mixed media, which hooked me even further. Since I am an art supply junkie, I really had to take hold of myself.

I found that often when I sat down to my art table I wasted the time completely. Too many choices had me spinning in the middle. I also always pressured myself to make pieces that were presentable enough to post. I never just played, unless it was to practice.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a very traumatic experience, that left me with nightmares, and a terror of the dark. I remembered how my Dad used to come and comfort me as a child, after a nightmare. In moments like that, moments of closeness and affection, he called me Liza.

In my darkness, art was out of the question, until I got thinking about who I was and how I felt when I was "Liza". Liza knew how to play, knew how to have fun.

So, since I was feeling too challenged to play, I tried to get into the headset of "Liza", and let that child in me play. I explored gel sticks (Faber Castell's "kids" line of gelatos), and had an absolute ball.

From now on, you will see my art signed, "Liza", for that part of me is the fearless, try anything twice, growing artist.

When dealing with the fear of the dark, etc., these are two of the pieces that came out of my "Liza" mindset. You will see that they look somewhat juvenile, but I had a ball doing them. The nightmares slowed down after these:

Banishing the Darkness (Chasing away the black butterfly).

Night is not dark It's SPARKLY

So, now, when you see my art signed "Liza", you will know why. They may not be masterpieces, but they come from a happy, playful part of me, that I sincerely treasure.

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are always appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. I love your "fitting" new name and your artwork. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat, for stopping by, and for your kind comment :)

      Delete
  2. Really lovely work. Creations from the inner child are pure and joyful. Love the new moniker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Robin, for stopping by, and for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete